121 HILLCREST AVENUE, LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ 08648

(609) 882-5136

  • YouTube Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

©2019 by First Baptist Church of Eggerts Crossing.

History of First Baptist Church of Eggerts Crossing

History of First Baptist Church of Eggerts Crossing

Founded April 17, 1928

 

For nine decades the First Baptist Church of Eggerts Crossing has brought warmth, hope, and fellowship to Lawrence Township and its community. This first African American Church in Lawrenceville, was founded in 1928 as the New Hope Baptist Church. Records named the first pastor as Reverend MacMellon and the founding families as Barber, Bynum, Davis, Dickerson, and Gillispie. The members first met in a rented house near Old Eldridge Park Station Railroad Tracks. In 1930, the church purchased land on Hillcrest Avenue.

 

In later years, Reverend P.H. Allen succeeded, Reverend MacMellon and became the second Pastor. Through his leadership, the property on Hillcrest was paid in full. On May 16, 1937, Reverend J.T. Grayson became the third Pastor. Construction of the small white steepled Church began in 1940 and was completed in 1942, under his leadership. The congregation was able to march in on August 16, 1942 with the Church being completely paid off. On July 15, 1943 the Church joined The Middlesex Central Association at the Shiloh Baptist Church in Plainfield, N.J.

 

In 1959 Reverend Clinton Carter became the fourth Pastor. On April 18, 1964 under the leadership of Pastor Carter the Church was incorporated and renamed First Baptist Church of Eggerts Crossing. At that time Moses Underwood was elected as Chairman and Cephus Gore was elected as Secretary. In addition, Arthur Falwell, Patsy Falwell, Ludie Barber, Ida Laws, and Clara Taylor were named as Trustees. Through Rev. Carter’s leadership, First Baptist was renovated , ministers and deacons were ordained, and the membership increased significantly.

In 1996, Reverend Johnnie Huff became the fifth Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Eggerts Crossing. Pastor Huff was an anointed, visionary leader who was called by God to pastor and lead the flock until His Homegoing in June 2010. Through his bold leadership and great faith the members grew in great strides spiritually. During his tutelage, membership increased, teaching guidelines were implemented, and new ministries were established including the Male Chorus, Youth Ministries, and the Women’s Ministry.

 

In the midst of his leadership, God gave Pastor Huff the vision to build a new Church. The members began working collaboratively on Annual Building Fund Campaigns and fundraisers to make the divine vision a reality.

 

On May 15, 2011, Reverend William Burnett was installed as the sixth Pastor. Under his tutelage, the Lord has continued to bless the First Baptist Church of Eggerts Crossing, through the teaching and preaching of His Word. As a result, additional souls have come to Christ, new ministries have been established, as well as outreach ministries which includes partnering with the Adopt-A-School Faith Based Initiative and providing support for our adopted families.  Other outreach activities include Homefront Shelter Feeding, Preferred Care Nursing Home activities, and Vacation Bible Camp. In addition, youth ministry activities are also currently being developed.

 

Since the Ground-Breaking Ceremony in November 2012 for the new edifice, the revised building project has made steady progress, showcasing God’s Blessings of the completion of Phase I Saturday, September 5, 2015.  Phase II is currently in progress. 

On September 11, 2016 Minister Malcolm Sykes was licensed to preach by Pastor William Burnett.  Evangelist Cheryl Holloway was licensed on July 22, 2018.  We praise God for the spiritual and physical growth of our church family.

In the spring of 2017 and 2018 First Baptist Church of Eggerts Crossing sponsored a youth Basketball Team to support the efforts of Bro. Micah Brooks to encourage the youth and restore activities in Caldwalder Park in Trenton, NJ.